Last Updated on October, 2023
Meal replacement shakes can help you lose weight, adjust your calorie intake, help with bad eating habits, offer many nutritional benefits, and much more. There are many different formulas that help with specific goals, and that’s what makes them so good.
But they can do more harm than good if you aren’t careful. For example, you must be cautious about how many of them you drink in a day. But this can easily be avoided if you have more information about the topic, which we’re here to provide!
Drinking meal replacement shakes instead of eating meals and following a healthy diet has severe repercussions. If you want to learn more about these and how to avoid them by drinking the right amount of shakes a day, keep reading to find out more.
Meal replacement shakes offer many nutritional benefits, and can help with weight loss, adjusting calorie intake, and bad eating habits.
The correct amount of meal replacements in a day varies depending on each person, and depends on factors such as current body mass index, whether your goal is losing weight, gaining weight, or weight management.
Meal replacement shakes can have negative effects if you aren’t careful, such as a calorie deficit. It is important to be cautious about how many of them you drink in a day.
How Many Meal Replacement Shakes Can I Have a Day? (The Answer)
The correct amount of meal replacements in a day varies depending on each person. Many factors come into play, such as current body mass index, whether your goal is losing weight, gaining weight, weight management, or balancing your nutritional intake, etc.
In short, there are many ways to go about a meal replacement diet because of how versatile these drinks are. So, let’s discuss how many of these you should drink for weight loss and weight gain. That way, you can understand how to manage your personal intake.
How Many Meal Replacement Shakes Should I Drink to Lose Weight?
The most popular use of a meal replacement shake is for weight loss. Most people drink these supplements to eliminate their body fat and lower their initial body weight. That’s because lots of these shakes offer great nutrition for your overall health.
For example, they provide macronutrients, essential vitamins, and minerals without extra calories.
So, replacing one meal should be enough for healthy weight loss if you want to lose weight. But, depending on how many calories the shake has or how many you need in a day, the number can vary.
To decide what amount is best for yourself, consider a few of the following things:
- How much weight do you want to lose? Your personal goals, fitness goals, and everything else.
- How much will you exercise? People that exercise extensively should stick to one a day while eating filling as well as nutritious whole foods. But, those that don’t exercise could drink two for weight loss if they aren’t too nutritionally dense.
- How quickly do you want to lose it? Two can be good if you want to get ready for bathing suit season as soon as possible. But, if you’re going to take things slow and support fat loss with healthy habits instead of relying on supplements alone, stick to one per day.
- Your current weight, age, and health issues should be kept in mind.
- Most importantly, depending on the product you have, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. They should let you know if you need to drink one or two daily.
Once you have them mapped out, you can develop a healthy plan to balance out solid meals and diet shakes daily.
Just make sure not to go over two meals, though, as a calorie deficit that big can cause serious issues and isn’t suitable for positive weight maintenance.
How Many Meal Replacement Shakes Should I Drink to Gain Weight?
Despite what people might have, you believe putting on body fat is just as hard as losing it for some people, if not even harder. Weight management takes some serious work, but meal replacement shakes can help with gaining it too.
Pretty much everything I said in the last heading applies to this question too. But the only difference is the nutritional intake. This means that you’ll want more calories, too, on top of all the macro and micronutrients.
So, nothing changes except for the type of meal replacement shakes you’ll be drinking.
Stick to one or two a day, depending on the factors discussed early, but get meal replacements with more than 400 calories if you want to gain pounds instead of losing them.
Here we’ve listed the Best Weight Gain Meal Replacement Shakes.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Drinking a Meal Replacement Shake Every Day
Once you have a healthy plan figured out, here are the positives and negatives that you can expect while drinking a meal replacement shake regularly:
- The best meal replacement shakes offer even more nutrition than whole foods or a complete meal. They’re much more balanced and provide micronutrients that people might miss out on otherwise, such as some vitamins and minerals, digestive enzymes, and more.
- They’re highly convenient, making them a source of quick nutrition. You can easily replace one meal entirely without the hassle of cooking it and without the horrible effects of fast foods or other quick junk.
- Meal replacement shakes are for everyone. There are vegan options that have plant-based ingredients (vegan proteins, no dairy, etc.) and animal products (whey protein, nutrients from eggs, milk, etc.). Anyone can find something that matches their exact needs and preferences.
- While this isn’t necessarily very important, something that lots of people will appreciate is that a meal replacement usually tastes good. It’s always better to have something healthy AND tasty instead of just one or the other.
- Lots of these supplements come with artificial additives that can have terrible effects on the body if consumed regularly.
- These shakes can cause deficiencies and serious health issues without a proper diet plan.
- They’re unsafe for people with certain health conditions. Make sure to consult your doctor before drinking one if you think your own health might be at risk before starting a meal replacement diet.
The Best Time to Drink Meal Replacements
The best time to drink a meal replacement shake depends entirely on one’s schedule. The usual times are around breakfast, lunch, and dinner because these are the biggest meals in the day and result in the highest amount of calories eaten.
I’d recommend drinking a shake at dinner if you want to reduce weight. That’s because this is usually when people consume the most calories, so cutting down on those could be a big help.
Plus, dinner can be a real chore after a tiring and busy day, so that’s another positive of drinking at this time, as meal shakes are easy to prepare.
Meal replacement shakes make life easier, but you must spend some time getting familiar with them before that’s possible. Now that I’ve highlighted some important things about adding them to your diet, things should be easier for you.
If you have any other queries related to the topic, feel free to ask about them, and I’ll answer as best as possible.
But before you do that and we wrap things up, take a look at a couple of the most common queries that people have below in case those are the same questions you have in mind.
Was this article helpful?