Last Updated on February, 2024
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is a huge issue for women around the world. It’s one of the most common causes of infertility and a big potential problem for any woman of child-bearing age. In addition, it can be painful and quite uncomfortable to live with.
The condition makes certain things a lot more challenging to do. On top of that, PCOS itself is tough to maintain. On the bright side, it can be managed, if not completely cured. But, you can only manage it if you maintain a proper diet and follow specific vital steps.
A good diet can do wonders for women that have PCOS. For example, a meal replacement can benefit them, given the circumstances. That’s what we’ll be discussing today while listing the best meal replacement shake for PCOS patients.
Table Of Contents
- 3 of the Best Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
- What is PCOS?
- Is it Good to Drink a Meal Replacement Shake in PCOS?
- Things to Consider Before Buying Meal Replacements for PCOS
- Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes for Those With PCOS
- Cons of Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
3 of the Best Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
1. Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder (Top Pick for Both Internal and External Body)
Overall Score: 5.0
>>> Click Here to Checkout Yourself <<<
Orgain Organic Plant-based protein powder is a go-to meal replacement for vegans, as the name suggests. It doesn’t matter if your taste buds want to have it as a shake or baked into some brownies (as long as you don’t microwave, it is fine 😊)
It is made up of organic fruits and vegetables and provides your body with 21 grams of protein derived from a blend of organic pea protein, brown rice protein, and organic chia seed. This ensures that it repairs and builds your muscles.
A point worth noting is that this protein powder is free of soy, free of dairy, lactose, and gluten. Furthermore, there aren’t any artificial flavors, sweeteners, and GMOs. This works well for women who are abstaining from them.
Here’s the nutritional information and key facts for Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder Chocolate Creamy Fudge-flavored shake (250 Calories):
2. Drink Wholesome Meal Replacement Powder (Best Choice for Gastroparesis)
Overall Score: 4.9
If you are looking for a perfect meal replacement, that ensures that you don’t suffer any more bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gas, and stomach pain? Drink Wholesome Meal Replacement Powder has got you covered.
The meal replacement is made up of egg whites, almonds, oats, coconut, and monk fruit. They also ensure that the protein that your body gets is natural and whole rather than being chemically processed to break down.
The nutrients derived from a simple array of natural foods and some essential vitamins ensure that your hunger is sated. This means all those untimely bouts of hunger are no more.
This meal replacement is free of additives making it easily digestible and fulfilling. Therefore, it is perfect to be had in the morning. Either while running to work or even in the afternoon while watching your kid’s game.
Here’s the nutritional information and key facts for Drink Wholesome Meal Replacement Powder Vanilla-flavored shake (250 Calories):
3. Nuzest Clean Lean Protein (Top Pick for Environmental Conscious and Easy Digestion)
Overall Score: 4.8
Another plant-based protein powder that takes sustainability seriously by ensuring that they are grown in environmentally friendly ways, packaged with care, and brought to you in 100% recyclable tubs (for those who are planet conscious, aren’t these some words of relief?).
Each serving gives you 20 grams of pea protein derived from European golden peas in a water-based isolation process. These add value to the protein powder as it means that it is free from harmful chemicals. It is also free of gluten, gums, fillers, and masking agents.
For those wondering if this shake would go well with your taste buds, that fear is put to ease as it contains Thaumatin. This is an extract from the Katemfe fruit that provides an all-natural sweetness, which means that there is no need for artificial sweeteners.
Here’s the nutritional information and key facts for Nuzest Clean Lean Protein Smooth Vanilla-flavored shake (100 Calories):
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, written usually as PCOS for short, is a condition that directly affects the reproductive system of a woman. It targets the ovaries and changes how they work, causing considerable problems in the body.
The main thing that the condition does is cause hormonal imbalances. This ultimately leads to many other effects, with one of the main ones being particular pains and changes in behavior. Irregularities in periods and ovulation are also common concerns among PCOS patients.
It can also lead to the development of harmful cysts, which have several negative results. However, the most significant disadvantage for most women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is that they can’t bear children.
There’s no cure for this condition, and you can do little to take its effects away. However, there are still ways to make it better, and one of the best ways is to develop a good diet.
PCOS can lead to diabetic issues because it causes high insulin levels in the body. However, a good diet can help you counteract this and several other effects of the sickness. But, these diets are sometimes hard to maintain and must be very specific.
So, what about meal replacements when it comes to PCOS? Are they good enough for those with the disease, or should they avoid them? Here’s everything you need to know about this.
Is it Good to Drink a Meal Replacement Shake in PCOS?
Women suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome need nutrition to improve their health. They’ll grow weaker if they don’t get enough protein, vitamins, or other vital parts of a healthy diet. This is where meal replacement shakes come in.
If you want the short answer, yes, meal replacements are suitable for PCOS. They can be great for the condition if you choose the right one. That’s because these supplements offer the nutrition that women need if they’re suffering from PCOS.
But, how do you make sure you choose the best meal replacement shake for someone suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Let’s cover that next to ensure you pick the best shake possible for your specific needs.
Things to Consider Before Buying Meal Replacements for PCOS
There are plenty of essential things to remember before buying a meal replacement. We’ll be covering some of the most important ones, starting with:
Good Protein Source
What you’ll want most in a good meal replacement shake for PCOS is a good source of protein.
Good means avoiding dairy and focusing on ingredients that won’t cause bad reactions for those suffering from this condition. This means you should avoid shakes with whey protein.
Instead, focus on those with alternative protein sources, such as pea. Eggs, lentils, oatmeal, and other ingredients like quinoa, chia seeds, almonds can also be good sources of protein for those with PCOS.
Perfect Nutrient Content
A healthy diet for those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome usually revolves around high-protein and low carbs. So, ensure you get a meal replacement shake that matches this to help you reach your daily nutritional goals.
Each serving shouldn’t have too many calories, and there should be lots of protein from a healthy source. There shouldn’t be too many carbs, and fewer fats would be ideal. If you can find a meal replacement matching these criteria, it would be perfect for PCOS.
But, macronutrients aren’t the only things you have to consume. There are micronutrients as well, which can be just as important. These include various vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and other things.
Make sure your meal replacement shake has a balanced amount of most of these. Regular consumption of nutrients will noticeably improve your health. You’ll feel more active and not run into as many issues as before.
There shouldn’t be any additives in the meal replacement shake you get. These aren’t especially harmful to those with PCOS.
But, they’re generally unhealthy for everyone, regardless of whether or not they have the disease. In addition, these additives can cause issues of their own.
Artificial ingredients can cause cancer, kidney stones, and other life-ruining conditions upon regular consumption. So, ensure you avoid any supplements with these in them, as they’ll make things worse for you.
Something Gluten-Free Would Be Nice
While it isn’t a complete necessity that the shake should be gluten-free, it would be better if your meal replacement is. That’s because cutting out gluten from your diet can significantly reduce the risk of inflammation.
Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome run into many digestive issues, and removing gluten from a meal replacement shake can help them greatly.
It’s a small step which could have potentially significant, positive effects. That’s why we recommend you try to find meal shakes without gluten.
Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes for Those With PCOS
Once you know how to choose the right meal shake, there are plenty of benefits you’re sure to enjoy. Here’s a rundown of some of them, including details about how they’ll improve your condition:
- The main benefit comes from the protein in these shakes. This nutrient gives you the strength your body needs to resist specific effects and be more active throughout the day. Regularly consuming healthy protein is a great way to fight the effects of PCOS.
- Protein isn’t the only essential nutrient they offer. Meal replacement shakes can provide a balanced intake of all the nutrition that someone suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome needs. Similar to the last benefit, this can help the body in various ways.
- Sometimes, things get way too bad in PCOS. It’s challenging to prepare entire meals for yourself, and even more so to eat them. But, this isn’t a problem with meal shakes. They’re easy to make and easy to drink, with everything only taking minutes with minimal effort involved.
- Medication/food that’s good for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome usually doesn’t taste all that good. If you’re a picky eater that hates having limited options with PCOS, meal replacement shakes can be life savers. They have an endless variety with all kinds of unique flavors you should be able to try, and most of them are delicious.
Cons of Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
So far, so good, right? But, we’d be lying if we told you everything about these supplements was perfect. Like anything else, there are certain flaws to meal replacement shakes in certain conditions.
So, let’s go through what these are next, so you can decide whether or not they’re worth trying for yourself.
- While they help digestion, meal replacement shakes might cause separate digestive issues. This can happen because of harmful ingredients or your body not reacting well to the liquid-based food. Either way, it can be extra alarming for those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as digestion is already a huge issue.
- It’s easy to drink too much of a meal replacement shake. When this happens, you’ll feel bloated, and your entire body might feel a bit off. That’s because you’ll have too much protein or other nutrients in your system, depending on the nutritional information of the meal replacement you’re drinking.
- While there is undoubtedly lots of variety, a lot of this isn’t exactly healthy. Most meal replacement shakes include artificial additives or sweeteners of some kind. These are horrible for your health and can be even worse for those with PCOS, so make sure to avoid them.
Women suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome need to take any steps carefully. Their bodies are sensitive and can react horribly to anything, even the slightest bit wrong.
So, while we’ve shared some of the best meal replacement shakes for PCOS with you, we urge that you only decide with the help of your doctor.
No one other than your doctor knows the true extent of your condition and how badly you’re affected by it. That’s why you should include them in your decision and decide whether or not to add meal replacements to your diet.
As for any other details, we’re here to point out anything you need regarding the topic. So feel free to ask in the comments if you have something in mind. Just remember every detail we’ve shared here, and you won’t have anything to worry about at the end of the day.
Was this article helpful?